We’ve produced a short video showing what essential items should go into a daytime hike pack. You can find that video here on our YouTube.
Some people have requested that we publish a check-off list that they can print off and use as they gather their items, so here it is!
Here is my list of day hiking essentials.
- Attitude of safety and fun! (in that order)
- Hydration Pack: A basic essential and should hold all of your day hike supplies.
- Geiger Rig (my all time favorite hydration pack). It has an optional water filter so if there is a water source on your hike, you’ll be able to refill.
- Trail food/Snacks
- Communication: Phone/camera
- Navigation tools: GPS, map of the area and compass (know how to use before you go)
- Comfort: Extra clothing that can be layered for changing temperatures. Hat for sun or cooler temps, Sunscreen, Insect repellent, Toilet paper (In a quart baggie)
(Hopefully these never have to come out of your day pack)
- First aid kit
- Folding pocket knife
- Fire starter such as:
- Emergency matches
- Flint and steel
- Rain gear
- Lightweight poncho
- Small notebook and pencil
- Essential medications
- Flash light
- Emergency Whistle
Feel free to check out our other videos here on the video page, and happy hiking!